Saturday, June 6, 2015

Paperback 888: Sex Store / Thomas Vail (Rapture Books 405)

Paperback 888: Rapture Books 405 (PBO, 1964)

Title: Sex Store
Author: Thomas Vail
Cover artist: Uncredited

Estimated value: $30-40

[Newest addition to the Doug Peterson Collection]

RB405
Best things about this cover:

  • This guy is ready for his Dos Equis and/or Cuervo commercial.
  • The '60s were a big time for Co-Ed Eyebrow Pageants.
  • This artist was justly famous for refusing to draw bodies. "Just Heads!" he'd shout.
  • There appears to have been some kind of mildewy seepage in the floating head storage closet. I keep trying to make sense of the green … to no avail.
  • The author's name is Thomas Vail, as in "Please veil my identity. My mom can't ever know I wrote this."
  • Sex Store! Buy ten sexes, get one free.


RB405bc
Best things about this back cover:
  • "Yeah…"
  • Sarah Campbell Italics! (dum dum DUM!)
  • "Goodies" omg I just barfed a little.
  • Sex Store! Ask about bulk discounts!

Page 123~

Honestly, this page is a little rape-y for my tastes, so … let's go with the teaser text at the very beginning of the book (very first thing you see when you open the cover):

I heard cloth rustling as she stopped there, and then she reached for me, a very beautiful creature who was completely naked in the starlight. Her hand touched me once, hesitantly, and then grew bolder.

"Why, Sir Galahad!" she exclaimed. "You didn't break your lance after all!"

First, always nice to class up your dick references with some King Arthur. Second, all her reaction makes me wonder is What Did He Do To His Lance Earlier?

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

3 comments:

A said...

The Doug Peterson collection does it again!

The cover is awesome, the italicized words confuse me, and the King Arthur references are just priceless. That's taking it old-school.

Karl said...

Guy, in the voice of the customer in Monty Python's "Spam" routine:
"Have you got anyone without green in her?"
Sex Store clerk:
"Well, we've got green-eyebrows, one-green-eye, green forehead, green hair. She's not got much green in her."
Guy:
"I don't want ANY green!"

Anonymous said...

Pretty much 99% of the books covered here are at least moderately rapey. What's in this one that puts it beyond the pale?