Sunday, May 17, 2015

Paperback 881: Please Write For Details / John D. MacDonald (Gold Medal R1922)

Paperback 881: Gold Medal R1922 (unknown ptg, 1968)

Title: Please Write for Details
Author: John D. MacDonald
Cover artist: Uncredited [Mitchell Hooks]

Estimated value: $5-8

[Donation to the collection courtesy of L. Gagne]

GM1922
Best things about this cover:
  • Love how all those dorky guys are checking her out, but she's swiveled around to face you because, well, you're doing the same thing, big boy. She has the best "Like what you see?" face ever.
  • I am not familiar with MacDonald's comedy writing. Most everything else I have by him is Travis McGee stuff.
  • This book takes place at a "Mexican art colony," in case you're looking at the dorky guys and going "WTF?"

GM1922bc
 Best things about this back cover:
  • "Why, yes. Yes, I *do* enjoy those three things. You've piqued my interest. I *will* write for details. Thanks for your help."
  • That first sentence is an epic, loony, self-parodying masterpiece. Can you hitch your starload to a bent?
  • Great hyphen confusion. I read "love-lies" as "lies one tells about love"; but it's just "lovelies."
  • John D. MacDonald, still staring down that fly on the ceiling.

Page 123~

Torrigan had the usual ideas, all right, but he was a lot easier to handle. Hinting you could be a real hell of a painter if he'd let you learn all about Life from him. Always trying to load your drinks. And that tired game that goes I've-just-got-my-arm-around-you-because-I'm-just-a-big-friendly-guy. No trick in handling him.

Nothing like a good, withering take-down of a leering phony. I like the knowing, implicitly female perspective. This seems like it might be worth reading.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

2 comments:

DemetriosX said...

I've got to give the copywriter some props for "goings-on and comings-off". It's kinda cheesy, but it works.

Anonymous said...

I actually have this book and it's pretty good. Not in the sense of The Great American Novel, but it's quite entertaining and not JDM's usual subject matter.