Sunday, December 29, 2013

Paperback 731: The Terrible Night / Peter Cheyney (Avon T-365)

Paperback 731: Avon T-365 (1st ptg, 1959)

Title: The Terrible Night
Author: Peter Cheyney
Cover artist: Darcy

Yours for: $12

AvonT365

Best things about this cover:
  • The cigarette. Definitely the ominous, abandoned cigarette.
  • "Gore galore!"
  • Title font = awesome.
  • Interesting variation on the Keyhole Cover. Sadly, in this case, I get none of the titillation of voyeurism. The view is sordid. I'm all for bondage (!), but whatever's going on here seems too grim to be exciting.

AvonT365bc

Best things about this back cover:
  • … sorry, I was just contemplating what a great addition THEOMARA would make to my Crossword Compiler dictionary.
  • Lion + snake + woman. So he's like a griffin … kind of.
  • All the best trappers use tanga.
Page 123~

O'Mara said brusquely: "No. Go to bed." He went out into the corridor; down the stairs. As she went into her room he heard her murmur: "Such a pig …"

I don't have much to go on, but my gut tells me she's right.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

3 comments:

DemetriosX said...

I have to say that, while neither The Terrible Night nor Dark Interlude are particularly good titles, Dark Interlude is marginally better. TTN sounds like a kid's book, while DI is just pretentious.

Pat said...

In a world where no one has first names!

Zichao said...

Took me a couple of minutes of wondering why her vagina appeared to be literally smoking hot before I spotted that cigarette end.