Saturday, August 31, 2013

Paperback 690: Go Down, Aaron / Chris Davidson (Ember Library EL376)

Paperback 690: Ember Library EL376 (PBO, 1967)

Title: Go Down, Aaron
Author: Chris Davidson
Cover artist: Uncredited [Robert Bonfils]

Yours for: Not For Sale, partly 'cause I just wanna keep it, partly because I'd feel guilty profiting in any way from this thing (probably worth something north of a C-note)

EL376

Best things about this cover:
  • The title is ... amazing. I mean, if you can ignore completely the horrible Nazi / gay erotic nexus for, like, one second, you have to appreciate the wordplay involved in that title. Changing "Moses" to Aaron ... punning on the phrase "Go Down" ... playing "Third Sex" off of "Third Reich" ... seriously great.
  • The painting is also fantastic in its composition. I mean, again, horrible, but just the way the naked man is framed by the Nazi's legs, the way the Nazi's crotch is illuminated / represented by steel bars, the details on the uniform (belt, gun, trousers, whip (?), boots ...). And all in an unusual Green. Jaw-dropping.
  • This is among the most flat-out outrageous books in my collection. It takes "Sleaze" to 11. It's also in astonishing condition. I'd rate it 9/10, condition-wise.

EL376bc

Best things about this back cover:
  • Yuck.
  • What's the difference between a "deviate" and a "deviant"?
  • I'm trying to imagine finding any of this arousing. Not judging, though. Different strokes, as it were.

Page 123~

"The Master requests your presence in the study, sir," the servant informed Aaron.

Hmmm, this is a kind of prison I'm not familiar with.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

6 comments:

Jen said...

I absolutely have to read this. Hurry up Project Gutenberg, this is urgent.

frilled_shark said...

Wow, this is amazing.

In terms of bizarre Nazi sleaze, there's always the Stalags! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalag_fiction)(sorry, not sure how to do a proper link).

PulpCovers said...

That cover is by Robert Bonfils

Rex Parker said...

Do you see a signature I don't or can you just tell or what? I mean, it does look like Bonfils ...

Thanks,
RP

Anonymous said...

I read this book 30 years ago and have never forgotten it! I thought the story very interesting and the ending sadly brilliant

Richard said...

Anyone looking for a copy of can find a downloadable PDF copy on Archive.org.