Sunday, December 5, 2010

Paperback 374: The Making of Star Trek / Stephen E. Whitfield & Gene Roddenberry (Ballantine 73004)

Paperback 374: Ballantine Books 73004 (PBO, 1968)

Title: The Making of Star Trek
Authors: Stephen E. Whitfield & Gene Roddenberry
Cover artist: photos

Yours for: [SOLD! 12-5-10]

BB73004.MakingST

Best things about this cover:

  • If I were a Star Trek fan, I would be geeking out so hard over this very cool paperback original
  • That Enterprise is absurdly model-kit-looking in this photo. Maybe that's the point? "How it works!—we make cheap-ass models and use trick photography, suckers."
  • Further, "How it works"? I like how it implies that the tech is real.
  • Those are two handsome spacemen.

BB73004bc.MakingST

Best things about this back cover:

  • A "biography" of a TV show! Printed while said show was still on the air. Pretty visionary / ballsy.
  • Seriously, this back cover isn't lying. This book is Thick and chock full of photos, internal memos, a miniature episode guide, and a chapter entitled "Whither Star Trek?"! Oh, and whoever owned this book originally was a megageek, as there are tiny clipped-out TV Guide epsiode summaries taped and/or paperclipped into the episode guide section. Also, this section is annotated in some kind of code.

Page 123~

When the first screening was over, the general reaction from the people in the room was, "This is the most fantastic thing we've ever seen."

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]

11 comments:

Dave M said...

From this to "Shit My Dad Says"? Oh, Bill...

Totally with you on the "How We Built the Plastic Model" theme.

JamiSings said...

OH MY GOD!

I LOVE STAR TREK!

If I wasn't at work right now I'd so be ordering this!

Mr. Spock was my very first crush! I was three years old and in love with a Vulcan!

Michael5000 said...

I owned a copy of this book when I was a wee bairn...

Sandy said...

I like how there appears to be blue sky and clouds behind the enterprise. Um, isn't space darker than this??

J. Kingston Pierce said...

I still own a copy of this, only it's the sixth printing, released in 1970. I think I must've read the book five or six times as a boy, after the series itself had long been in reruns.

Cheers,
Jeff

Karla B said...

@ Sandy: There are some episodes where the Enterprise is within the Earth's atmosphere (like Assignment: Earth). Which makes no continuity sense, since the Enterprise eventually meets its demise by entering the atmosphere in Star Trek III. :P

Deb said...

I'm honestly surprised you haven't received an offer for this book yet.

Rick said...

I still own the original edition of this: it's a fine book.

capewood said...

I also still own the original edition of this book. It is great. Nowadays, every DVD or Blu-Ray disk of a movie you get has several 'how they did it features" included. I think, for it's time, this book was pretty original in what it set out to do.

Anonymous said...

I owned a copy of this book when I was a kid and more or less memorized it at that time. I did not, however, annotate it in code.

Bruce T.

Sean Brodrick said...

Just to show you how much of a geek I am, I owned this book when I was a kid. Man, what a geek!